Since Valentines Day is right around the corner, I thought I’d share my signature Nutella Strawberry cupcake recipe.
I made these a few weeks ago and they were a hit.
“The Nutella Strawberry cupcake is a masterpiece of chocolate, cream cheese, and strawberry. Deceptively simply, the Nutella strawberry cupcake achieves a perfect balance between cake and cream, chocolate and strawberry. And they’re pretty.”
Chocolate Nutella Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- Eggs (as called for on cake mix box)
- Oil (as called for on cake mix box)
- Water (as called for on cake mix box)
- 1 box chocolate pudding mix
- 1 jar of Nutella
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients
I use Wilton’s recipe, but any cream cheese icing recipe should work.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese softened
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 12 strawberries, halved
- A little bit of the afore mentioned Nutella
- Combine the chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding mix in a bowl.
- Add eggs, oil and water as directed on cake mix box.
- Mix and bake cupcakes as directed on cake mix box.
- Let cupcakes cool.
- Core the cupcakes with an apple corer or similar tool.
- Put a about half of the Nutella in a microwavable bowl and microwave until liquid-y.
- Fill each hole with Nutella.
- Let the cupcakes sit for a little while.
- Beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer (or by hand if you’re a poor college student and don’t own one).
- Gradually add confectioiners’ sugar and milk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add more confectioners’ sugar to thicken, milk to thin.
- Pipe icing onto cupcakes.
- Poke a small hole with a toothpick in the corner of a Ziplock bag.
- Fill bag with the rest of the melted Nutella (or melt more if needed).
- Pipe the Nutella out of the bag in back and forth pattern on each cupcake.
- Garnish with half a strawberry. (I’ve found that if you wait to add the strawberry until you’re ready to serve it, the cupcake will hold up better.)